Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Bed is a Privilege...???

I'm going to skip the polka-dotted girls post for now, due to the distress of our most recent parenting battle.


Our darling little Reagan has suddenly come into the need for many nights of battling the bedtime rage. She seems to be such a sweet pixie of a girl until the sun goes down and bedtime nears. Then she becomes something out of a nasty horror film. The screams, kicking, hitting, silent growling stares...I could go on and on. I really have never seen anything like it. Her energy for these bedtime fits is quite impressive. We keep thinking that she will just tire herself out and fall asleep-but it never happens. The girl has some major talent!


So what do we do? We asked ourselves this question each time we reached what we deemed to be the end of the line. And finally it dawned on me that having a soft bed to sleep on is a privilege. When we had finally taken away the last tangible object, we were left with the bed.


Can we really do this? Is it even legal? Why, yes we can!

And yes we did!


I really can't believe it! It was one of the worst nights of parenting I can remember. Telling this cherub faced preschooler that she lost the privilege of owning a bed. She would now be sleeping on a blanket in the bathroom(room choice for obvious reasons after 100 requests to go to the bathroom in order to leave her bed)


Just one night is all it took to earn back her lovies and water bottle. Last night at bedtime she said "Since I was good today do I own a water bottle now?" What a smart little cookie:)
Tonight we are setting the stage for a trip back to her actual bed. But, remember, it is a privilege-most easily stripped away again.


I can't believe this is happening in my house!!!

No comments: