Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My Very Special Child

As the saga of Faith's life continues to unfold, I have been reminded time and again to just enjoy the beautiful child that she is instead of endlessly toiling about her future. It's so easy to get caught up in Dr appts and therapy days. Much harder to make time to just sit and love on this sweet angel of happiness and love. I am so very blessed to be her mother!!!


It is so difficult to hear the words that portray my child as less than perfect. Just yesterday I was faced with an evaluation that put Faith's motor skills at half of her actual age. Today I ache for a family member just starting out into her journey through the 'grey area' of autism spectrum disorder.


Right now I am taking some time to marvel at Faith's ability to smile at anyone, understand that feet are more fun than toys, and her never ending wiggling that lets us know she is so excited about life!


...I was told a story just a few days ago about a woman in Guatemala who brought her children to a missionary doctor. When she arrived the woman was nursing her 18 month old daughter who she already knew had a problem with her heart. When beginning to talk with the doctor about how serious the problem was, she said in her most loving voice, "this is my very..special..child". Her heart knew that the doctor was probably going to tell her terrible news, but she wanted the doctor to understand that this was her child, whom she loved with all of her heart for as long as life would allow!

1 comment:

Marie Green said...

Ohhh, how I love that little girl. YOu are right- she smiles with her WHOLE BODY. She is beautiful, and special beyond whatever delays she has.

Kisses to Faith.